AMPed Life Women: Soraya Martial-Wright. Helping Others Protect Their Legacy

Soraya, tell us about yourself? 
Soraya Martial-Wright. Photographed by
Sharetha Monique Photography.
I’m Woman of God, Mom, Wife, and Attorney, in that order. I’m originally from Port-Au-Prince, Haiti. I migrated to Florida at the Age of 9, moved to Massachusetts a few years later, and I came to NC to attend the best HBCU in the universe – Livingstone College. I now consider NC home. After graduating from Livingstone College, I started my career with the Social Security Administration (SSA), where I worked with the disabled and elderly for more than 10 years. Most people are shocked when I share this, but I never intended to practice Law. I was a mom of two kids under the age of 6 when I decided to attend Law School. It was an insane period in my life, but I attended school part-time while working full-time at SSA. I couldn’t have done it without the support of my amazing spouse. The goal was to become a licensed Attorney, keep my good federal job, and eventually transition to a legal role within the agency. But God had bigger plans for me; so he created a path for me to go into private practice.

Why did you want to become a lawyer? 
As a child, people used to tell me that I’d make a great attorney because I could argue with the best of them. I can tell you from experience, having the ability to argue is not indicative of a great attorney. I actually wanted to become a Pediatrician. Believe it or not, I was inspired by Reese Witherspoon in legally blond. I was impressed when she picked a witness’ testimony apart on the stand, because she knew that someone with a perm couldn’t wash their hair and keep their curls intact. I concluded that my life experiences were different from everyone else’s, thus I could advocate for someone in way that others could not.

Soraya Martial-Wright. Photographed by 
Sharetha Monique Photography.
What is The Autonomy Group Legacy Planning, PC?
The Autonomy Group Legacy Planning, PC, AKA TAG, is an Estate Planning Law Firm, specializing in Elder Law and Special Needs Planning. The overarching goal is to help families plan for the unexpected and protect their valuables through strategic planning. In my former role as a Social Security representative, I saw far too many people scrambling due to inadequate or failure to plan appropriately. Through TAG, I’m able to help people navigate through the red tape and confusion, and protect their families, legacies, and wishes.

What is the biggest mistake you find people make in your line of work?
Failing to plan in advance. People either think they are took young, too healthy, or not wealthy enough to plan. When the unexpected happens, we have to piece something together to help them avoid or minimize the effects of a crisis. It’s often too late.

What is the most difficult part about your job?
Explaining the value and importance of proactive planning. It’s simply not deemed important until someone is sick or dying.

What is the most rewarding part of your Career?

Helping people navigate through something they find overwhelming, and I’m able to solve with minimal effort. Whether it is a complex probate matter, or a child trying to help their parent explore long-term care option, I enjoy taking the burden away from the family, so they can focus on the people and things that matter most.

What advice do you have for other women pursuing a career in law and branching out on their own?
Be true to yourself. Always remember your why. It’s not too hard, too late, too expensive, too time consuming, just do it. If the seed was planted in you to take this journey, embrace it. Someone is counting on your experiences and knowledge. It’s not an easy journey, so stay prayed up.

Visit the The Autonomy Group Legacy Planning, PC's website.

Follow T.A.G

Join us in the AMPed Life Women's group as Soraya shares with us the importance of estate planning.




Comments