AMPed Life Women: Michelle Harris Jefferson. Educator, Author, & Speaker Discusses Walking Into Her Purpose While Making Self Care a Priority

Michelle tell us about yourself.
Michelle Harris Jefferson
I am a Henderson, NC native. I am also a Suma Cum Laude graduate of NC State University and the author of What Doesn’t Kill You: A Memoir, which details my own life’s struggles with poverty, mental health and my journey to overcome despite the odds. I am a mother and wife who currently serves as an educator for Guilford County Schools, where I have been recognized as teacher of the year and rank amongst the top 25% of teachers in the state of NC. I enjoy motivational speaking and outreach, letting the world know that LIVING with ACEs (Adverse Childhood Experiences) is possible!

What have been your biggest changes since last featured on the AMPed Life women’s blog?
Since my last feature, I have really put a lot of time and energy into my work with ACEs survivors of all ages and levels. In addition to my Book Talks, I have been doing a lot of consulting work with educators, school leaders, conference organizers and community groups concerning the issues that are most prevalent amongst those living with ACEs. Some of the topics I speak on include: self-care, stress management, living with anxiety, equity in education, therapy in the African American community and much more.

How has your book been received by everyone?
I am blessed to say that my book is helping so many people! I get messages all the time about how my story and transparency is a source of hope for so many. I have even been stopped in the workplace and at the gym by people wanting to talk more with me about my daily battle LIVING with ACEs. It has been such a blessing!

Jefferson's book,
What Doesn't Kill You: A Memoir
What has been the biggest lesson you’ve learned thus far while chasing your dream?
I would have to say that my biggest lesson has been two-fold. The first is the level of faith I have reached. Sometimes when I am offered the opportunity to speak or encourage, I wonder if I have the words to say or if I am the one to lead and then I remember that the universe never says no; it only responds to the energy that you put out in the world. I have also learned the importance of surrounding myself with the right people. I believe that it is important to surround yourself with people who have been where you want to go,  become a sponge, absorbing all the wisdom they have to offer! Also look for balance in these relationships. Find people who you can “feed” and ones that “feed your soul” as well.


Why did you become a motivational speaker? 
I became a motivational speaker because I wanted to give a voice to the voiceless. There are so many people suffering from ACEs and there are motivational speakers talking about them but no to them! Who is talking to the adults who are existing with ACEs because no one gave them the tools to LIVE? Who is saying to ACEs survivors: I see you and I want to help you learn to LIVE a full life despite the trauma! There has to be someone who is willing to dedicate their lives to helping to heal the broken. I believe that is my call and my purpose.

Tell us about your company L.E.A.P. What is its mission?
L.E.A.P. is a consulting company whose mission is to empower those affected by ACEs with the resources and skills necessary to thrive in a world filled with uncertainties. We provide workshops and professional development opportunities, help in planning programs and events, speak on panels and as keynote speakers and much more!

Jefferson signing books at her book signing.
Photo courtesy of Michelle Harris Jefferson

What’s the most satisfying thing about walking in your purpose?
I would have to say that I gain the most satisfaction from knowing that it wasn't all for nothing! Every sleepless night, every tear, every filling of emptiness and unwantedness. Each and every struggle has been a blessing to me, two-fold. First, the sum of my experience is the place from which I draw my strength. Secondly, that same place from which I draw my strength serves as the gateway from others experiencing similar trauma or having survived them and looking at an uncertain future. Walking in my purpose is the hope of the ACE victor personified!

What do you believe are the most important things when it comes to self-care? 
The most important thing to remember about self-care is that it is not optional! Just as you feel the urgency and necessity to charge your mobile phone, you must feel that same urgency to charge yourself. Are we not more important than a phone?!

What are the major parts of your self-care routine? 
One major part of my self-care routine is “the check in”. In the mornings, before the house starts to move, I pray, read my devotional and take some time to meditate. I think through my day and begin to chart my course, reminding myself that if it all doesn’t get done today, there is always tomorrow and that's okay.

Jefferson signing books at her book signing.
Photo courtesy of Michelle Harris Jefferson
How do you handle the guilt you feel when you take time for yourself?
The guilt, I learned over the years, is the result of hidden issues with self-esteem. I began to think of all the things that I “have to” make time for in a day and I began to question myself concerning why I felt guilty. Did I feel guilty for washing dishes or cooking dinner? Taking my daughter to dance? Charging my phone? Why don’t I feel guilty for these things?...because they are IMPORTANT and have to be done! Then I had to ask myself...am I not important too? This is when I was forced to comfort my own issues in not seeing my value! There had to be a mental shift! I had to begin to see myself as a priority!

How can people get in touch with you?
I can be reached by email at whyweLEAP@gmail.com. [People] can also follow me and reach out on the Facebook LEAP page where you can find upcoming events and inquire about bookings for your events.


Join us in the AMPed Life Women's Facebook Community to hear Michelle Jefferson Harris speak on self care

Comments

Post a Comment