My Lips

I sent a photo jokingly to my fiancé Nygel one morning before heading off to work saying it was my Kylie Jenner lip challenge photo. I joked but it honestly had me bothered.
I was bothered because it's another thing the our culture was made fun of in the past and now this look is so sought after now one a woman of European descent. I wonder how this always happens? I know woman like myself and women of African descent before walking around with these full voluptuous lips and no one goes crazy over them. It seems many things in our culture aren't really cool or acceptable until someone else outside of our culture does it.  People are hurting themselves and getting sent to the hospital over full lips and for what?!
It took me some time to accept some things about me that I didn't think it were beautiful, but I now embrace them. Like these big soup coolers of mine; I used to think they were too big and avoided color. Now color is my bestie. I love red most of all so far.
Just be yourself and accept what God has given you. If there are things you want to change, do it in a safe way where you are putting your life serious danger. If you can avoid surgery, do the hard work and avoid those quick fixes. To my beautiful brother and sisters of color. Continue to embrace your beauty and culture with high regard. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery I hear. I challenge everyone to be self aware. I challenge you to love, care for, and accept the best you that you want to be without the outside influences wanting you to change to fit a mold.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts