National Rainbow Baby Day

Today August 22nd is National Rainbow babies day. Rainbow babies are babies born after a loss of a previous pregnancy. In nature rainbows appear after the storm. The rainbow does not negate the ravages or erase the damages of the storm. The rainbow also doesn't mean the storm is over. It means something beautiful has appeared in the midst of it all. When I see rainbows, they are a reminder God's covenant with us. On today, I celebrate both of my rainbow babies. 

Our first rainbow baby, Nygel "Deuce" Porterfield:
💜Countless prayers 
❤Countless tears.
💙Battling Insurance coverage rejections because I didn't lose my previous pregnancies late enough.
💚Battling a boss who tried to fire me because I stood up for our health and safety.
💛Losing his twin in the early weeks of pregnancy.
❤140 progesterone treatments.
💜34 doctor office visits over the course of this pregnancy.
💚12 weeks of a subchorionic hemorrhage threatening a miscarriage.
🧡6 weekly injections
💙2 years of pregnancy loss
💛1 surgery to prevent early delivery
💙8 weeks early he was born. My water breaks and he enters this world without a sound. The doctor racing to resuscitate him.
❤25 days in the NICU.

At times I may be extra protective when it comes to Deuce. It's because of the journey we took to bring him into this world. He's been a fighter since the moment he was conceived and I thank God for blessing us with our rainbow baby boy. He's given me strength I didn't know I had. He is so worth it! I celebrate our miracle boy on today. 

Our Second Rainbow baby Alexia Marguerite:
She was born after we experienced the loss of an ectopic pregnancy. Named after my mother Marguerite, her arrival was much anticipated and we've celebrated her ever since.
Pregnancy and Infant loss happens way more than people think. May just prefer to keep their journey private. You never know who are rainbow babies walking among us. If you are a parent to a rainbow baby, how do you celebrate your child?


Comments