AMPed Life Women: Ticora Davis. Tenacious Lawyer and Momprenuer

Ticora being sworn in as an attorney with her
husband Tyrone holding the bible.
Ticora, tell us about yourself.  
I am an attorney in Charlotte, NC and have been married for two and a half years to my husband Tyrone Davis. My son, Miles Ellington, is six months old and the epitome of joy. Currently, I work as a contract attorney for various firms in town; however, I am preparing to launch my own firm in the spring that caters to the intellectual property and business needs of online entrepreneurs and small business owners.  
  
I want people to know that I am a multi-passionate mompreneur who loves her God and her family dearly. I loathe injustice. I’m a junk food fanatic (much to my husband’s chagrin). I’m obsessed with business podcasts and passionate about economic development and intellectual property law.  
  
What is the toughest thing about being a working mom? 
Hands down, the toughest thing about being a working mom is balancing your hustle with your heart. The two ideals are certainly entwined, because I certainly love being an attorney and running my own business; however, I am committed to my husband and son above everything else. My men are my first priority, for sure, but it’s so easy to become consumed by something you want to succeed. I tell myself often to take a break, close my laptop, and be intentional about playing and laughing with our son or unplug from social media and give my husband my full attention. My son will never be this little again so it’s important I am purposeful about enjoying family moments.  
  
What are the 3 things you value most in your life? How have they shaped you as a person? 
The three things I value most that have shaped my life are: my relationship with Christ, the power of my words, especially “no,” and my family. My faith has shaped my resolve and resilience. It is the constant of my life and, like a magnet, always pulls me back to my center. This life and it’s problems are temporary. Knowing this helps me keep things in perspective when things are not within my control.   
  
As I’ve matured, I’ve learned to say and own my “no’s.” I used to say “yes” to everything and run myself ragged. I had this false notion that I had to say “yes” because I feared losing some so-called once in a lifetime opportunities and, quite frankly, had too much pride. I’m so happy to be free from that bondage. A “no” is just as good as a “yes.” Furthermore, I value the power of my words. We can manifest a positive or negative life with the “power of our tongues.” It doesn’t matter whether you believe this is biblical or the law of attraction.  It works. We cannot curse ourselves daily and expect to have a successful life, a successful marriage, or a successful business. I strive my best to always speak positively! 
  
Ticora, a glowing mom to be.
Finally, my family is so dear to me. There is something that happens when you birth a child that sobers you up. It doesn’t happen to everyone, but for me, it humbled me immensely and brought the tangible things that I used to hold high, low.  
  
What is Pumps & A Bump Maternity? What services do you provide? 
Pumps & A Bump is a maternity boutique offering a collection of styles curated with you and your BUMP in mind. We specialize in offering comfortable looks that celebrate our culture and our unique journey as mothers. We hope to be your "go-to" destination for gifts for the mamas in your life, as well as daily doses of inspiration for mompreneurs and fashionistas. Very soon, we'll be adding apparel for your little ones, as well as men’s wear.    
  
Why did you decide to start Pumps and a Bump? 
God breathed life into this idea while pregnant with my son Miles. I realized how inconvenient it was for me to purchase maternity clothes that were funny, stylish, and comfortable. As a black woman, I, personally, did not see much imagery or advertising featuring women of color. Identifying this as a problem, which is very personal to me, I thought that I could do something about it.  
Pumps and a Bump merchandise
  
I began to do some research and brainstorming, but initially didn’t pursue the business with intensity. After having my son, the company I was working for didn’t invite me to come back. In part, they cited my being a new mom as a concern as they felt I would not be as committed to the success of the firm. Hearing this really hurt, because mothers are the most hardworking people that I know! I couldn’t believe that someone would bypass my talent due to ignorance.  
  
Nonetheless, I’m thankful, because their doubting me was enough motivation to pursue this business venture with reckless abandon, and the tenacity to eventually open my own firm.   
  
What advice would you have for women who would like to pursue their dream or passion? 
Be confident and wild with your ideas. Smother your fear with faith. If you’re 85% there, you’re likely ready to launch. No one has it all figured out, no matter how beautifully polished their social media highlight reel looks. Trust your gut. Know your stuff. Don’t let anyone treat you poorly, ever. Embody grace. Know the business of your business (i.e. your books, monthly expenses, etc.). Tune out the noise and take the leap into entrepreneurship.  
  
Finally, know that the gifts you have brewing inside you were planted there for a purpose. The world is waiting on YOU to do what only YOU can do. Get busy. The world is ready, but it won’t wait on you for too long.  
  
How can anyone contact you about your services or buy merchandise?

Website for Pumps and a Bump Maternity:
www.pbmaternity.com

Ticora@pbmaternity.com 
My contact information concerning Pumps & A Bump Maternity. 
  
My contact information concerning business consulting and legal issues. For now, I’ll put interested parties on my newsletter so they’ll be the first to know when my firm launches.  
  
  

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for featuring me and sharing the Pumps & A Bump Maternity story. We wish you much success in all that you do. xoxo ~ Ticora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent read, Mrs. Davis is such an inspiration! ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts