My Participation in the Women's March

I heard the details of the Women's March on Washington when three women, Tamika Mallory, Carmen Perez, and Linda Sasour went on the Breakfast Club Morning Show to speak about their involvement with the march.  The ladies spoke about how the march started with a woman from Hawaii inviting her friends to go D.C. to march and the event went viral.
                I was not able to participate in the Women's March on Washington D.C., but I participated in the Women's March On Charlotte, NC. At the march, I was surrounded by what I felt as genuine respect given by men, women, and children of all colors and backgrounds.  I received hugs and high fives from strangers.  There were signs not just for women's rights, but for human rights.  The atmosphere was energizing and powerful. When I got home, I watched videos of people across the country and around the world marching.  I want this energy for change to continue. 

               For me, it did not matter who started the march,  I look at this as an opportunity to spark change for all people.  I look at this moment as an opportunity to create dialogue with people of different ethnicities and backgrounds.  I look at this as a time in our country where we can talk to people about our struggles.  This could be the time where those who initially were closed minded would actually be open to listening and acknowledging things like racism and sexism exist. 

               We should hold each other accountable for lack of action when injustice takes place against anyone. I truly believe this what former President Obama wanted in inspiring hope and change.  My experience was empowering and motivating, and it has pushed me to further think about how I can impact my community.

Comments